Gluten Free Tortillas
Write a review
- 2 cups Gluten free all purpose or White Rice flour
- 2 tsp Xanthan gum or Guar gum
- 1 tsp Gluten free baking powder
- 2 tsp Maple Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 cup warm water
- In a Large bowl, mix all dry ingredients thoroughly
- Add a copy of warm water into the dry ingredients, knead with your hands until evenly mixed
- Separate dough into 8 pieces and roll each piece in to a ball. Place all but one of the rolled dough pieces back into the mixing bowl and cover with plastic wrap until you are ready to work with it.
- On a clean, flat surface, sprinkle a bit buckwheat flour and then roll out your dough in to a thinly circular shape (approx 1/8 inch thick)
- On a hot griddle, place rolled out tortilla dough and let cook approximately 1-2 min or until the tortilla has started to rise and bottom side is showing some brown spots. Filp the tortilla and cook the other side until is it slightly toasted as well ( you can also use a cast iron griddle on medium heat with a smidge of olive oil)
- Slide the cooked tortilla on to a plate (covered with a Dishtowel folded in half- placing tortillas in the middle) to keep warm. Then repeat steps 4 thru 6 until you've cooked all 8 tortillas.
- Ready to serve with your favorite filling
- * It's generally a good rule of thumb to be rolling out a new tortilla while you have one on the griddle cooking to get them done quickly and keep them warm.
Cindie Borg http://cindieborg.com/